[ RadSafe ] NJ hosts hearing on study of radiation in baby teeth

Flanigan, Floyd Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com
Sat Feb 19 16:43:34 CET 2005

Before screaming that the sky is falling, homework is in order:

Atmospheric Nuclear Weal2ons Tests. Approximately 622 petabecquerells (PBq) (16.8
million curies) of Sr-90 were produced and globally dispersed during atmospheric
nuclear testing . The worldwide average effective dose from ingesting Sr-90 (1945 to
date) is 97 microsieverts, (pSv) [9.7 millirem(mrem)] . The worldwide average effective
dose from inhaling Sr-90 (1945 to 1985) is 9.2 pSv (0.92 mrem). No statistically
significant excess of biological effects caused by Sr-90 exposures at levels
characteristic of worldwide fallout has been demonstrated (NCRP Report No. 110).
Chernobyl Accident. Approximately 8 PBq (216,000 curies) of Sr-90 were released
during the April 1986 Chernobyl accident. Apart from childhood thyroid cancer, no
increase in overall cancer incidence or mortality has been observed that can be
attributed to ionizing radiation (UNSCEAR 2000).
Nuclear Power Plants. On average, the total annual release of Sr-90 into the
atmosphere from all U.S . nuclear power plants is typically 37 megabecquerels (1/1000th
curie) . The annual average effective dose to individuals living within 50 km (31 miles) of
a nuclear power plant from all released radionuclides is 5 pSv (0.5 mrem) for
pressurized-water reactors and 10 pSv (1 mrem) for boiling-water reactors (UNSCEAR
2000).

I'm keeping my left hand raised while I write this. Just trying to save the watch. :-)

Floyd W.Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.