[ RadSafe ] Re: Potential fer over-regulation

jjcohen jjcohen at prodigy.net
Sun Feb 20 22:10:00 CET 2005

> I find it very disheartening when I hear fire and police officials
> stating that their members will not enter an area when the dose rate
> exceeds 2 mR/hr. These are the same individuals who enter burning
> buildings, chemical fires, conduct rescue missions in swollen flood
> waters, and they are afraid of a dose rate of 2 mR/hr????
>
> The reality of radiation risk, well established for decades, has
> given way to perceptions of fear mongers. I agree with you when you
> say that there is a serious potential for "over-regulation and
> exaggeration of radiation risks in the public mind kills millions".
>
> How unfortunate.

Potential??????

Over-regulation of radiation exposure became a reality decades ago with the
adoption of LNT, ALAP, ALARA, etc., and it is unlikely that such nonsensical
policies will be abandoned simply because they could kill millions.  The
"fear-mongers" you refer to must include the ICRP, NCRP, & EPA. People are
not stupid! When they see regulations that mandate spending billions of
dollars  to limit radiation  to a few millirem, they can only logically
conclude the  exposures above such levels must be dangerous.       Jerry
Cohen