[ RadSafe ] RadSafe rules (both general as technical)

Marcel Schouwenburg m.schouwenburg at iri.tudelft.nl
Mon Feb 21 16:54:20 CET 2005

Dear RadSafers,

My first two weeks as moderator of the RadSafe mailinglist have passed
now. They were quite hectic as I look back. Setting up the listserver,
finetuning the software and, unfortunately, some rough time on the list.
I'm glad that everything has come to a rest again now. The server and
the software are working properly and I'm looking forward to moderate
this list and expanding it.

However, I will avoid the rough times that recently occured on the list.
Especially with my intention to expand the list and include more members
from other parts of the world. I want (potential) new members, and any
other member, to have a feeling of being part of a pleasant professional
community where anything related to radiation safety (health physics)
can be discussed. Members should not feel reluctant posting a message to
the list and being scared of a potential personal flaming arising from
his/her posting. Definitely, I want to avoid members unsubscribing from
the list because of any flaming going on. I'm confident we, as members
of the RadSafe community, can accomplish this. However, like any other
community,  RadSafe needs (some) rules. Basically, they are no different
than the rules applied by the fomer moderator Michael Stabin. I will
present them below. Besides this, they will be published on the general
information page of RadSafe.

[Version February 2005] Subject to change when applicable, but with
prior notice.

General rules

Some of the rules are adapted from the 10 commandments of email
(recently referred to by a RadSafe member).

- The list is open to all points of view on radiation protection issues.
- The language used on the list is English.
- Include a clear and specific subject line.
- Edit any quoted text down to the minimum.
- Read your own message three times before you post it to RadSafe.
- When posting to the list include your full name and, if applicable,
address, professional details, etc.
- Do not curse, flame, spam or USE ALL CAPS.
- (At least) Try to ponder how recipients might react to your message.
- Check spelling and grammar. However, since RadSafe is an international
list, please understand that a large group of members are non-native
English speakers (like the moderator), so don't be to harsh on this.
- When in doubt, save your message overnight and reread it in the light
of dawn.
- Do not forward any chain letter.
- Do not use the list for any illegal or unethical purpose.
- That which you find hateful to receive, do not send out to the list.
- Commercial postings and advertisements are not allowed.
- Job postings will be accepted (both seeking and advertising).
- "Not for profit" groups are allowed to advertise, i.e. training
courses, etc. that are paid for.

Technical rules and aspects

- RadSafe is a closed list. Posting is only possible by members. Posting
by non-members will be moderated by me and, when rejected, send back to
the poster accompanied by a reason for the rejection.
- Only plain text messages will be accepted by the list. Any code (HTML,
ect) will be filtered out.
- Attachments are not allowed because of security reasons, except
PDF-files. Also images, whatever format, will be filtered out.
- The maximum message size is 25 kB. Larger messages should be split up
in multiple parts. Include a number in the subjectline of every part
(e.g. 2/3).
- If you want to reply to the list you should use the option Reply All
in your mail program. When using Reply the mail will only be sent to the
original sender of the message.
- Do not use BCC to sent a message to RadSafe (this is an implicit
address). Only To and CC are allowed (explicit addresses) when sending a
message to RadSafe.
- If a message from RadSafe is bounced from your email address for more
than 5 times, your subscription will be temporary suspended.
- Once a month a password reminder is sent to every listmember. Using
this password, you can change settings of your subscription on your
personal memberpage. For example: you can choose to hold your
subscription for a while in case of a holiday or change to receive
digest versions in stead of separate messages.
- Digest versions can be received in either MIME or plain text format
(that is all messages in one big text file). Default for new members is
plain text.
- Out of the office messages will be filtered out.
- When referring to a document, program, etc. include the link to this
file whenever possible.
- If necessary, I will provide storage space on the radlab.nl server for
big files, documents, etc. that might be of interest to listmembers.
Copyrighted material is excluded. I will take into consideration all
requests for storage on the server. However, only material related to
RadSafe matters will be allowed.

I hope these rules are clear and acceptable to everyone. However, please
don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or remarks.

With kind regards,

Marcel Schouwenburg - RadSafe moderator and listowner
Head Training Center Delft
National Center for Radiation Protection (Dutch abbr. NCSV)

Faculty of Applied Sciences / Reactor Institute Delft
Delft University of Technology
Mekelweg 15
NL - 2629 JB  DELFT
The Netherlands
Phone +31 (0)15 27 86575
Fax     +31 (0)15 27 81717
email   m.schouwenburg op iri.tudelft.nl