AW: [ RadSafe ] Editorial: " My nuclear nightmare ", Journalists' cost-effectiveness

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Feb 23 18:48:18 CET 2005

John and RADSAFErs,

Yes, John, you consult books, you consult experts you know, you combine
your informations to form an overall picture of what the discussion is
about.

Journalists have to be cost-effective. They do not have time to read
books which they anyway will not understand because of lack of
background education and they do not even search for those experts which
they would have to look after if they wanted a balanced opinion. This is
more than true for nuclear issues. They accept the bla-bla of those
groups which provide them with simple opinions, which they only have to
copy into their articles, without any further research. Costs are almost
zero, the effect is great - people want to be scared, they need an
additional adrenaline output. Politics do their utmost to scare people
in order to get through otherwise unpopular legislation, so the output
of those journalists is obviously welcome.

That news might be entertainment is increasingly of concern. Average
people seem not to be able to discern between fact and fiction any more.
In Europe we are at the moment aware, that those TV programmes are
called "infotainment".

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7