[ RadSafe ] Re: Nuclear Power Plant Effluents / EMP, "Nuclear War Survival Skills "

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Mon Feb 28 00:03:14 CET 2005

At 05:26 PM 2/27/2005, John Jacobus wrote:
>Out of curiosity, what actions or recommendations have
>you and family taken?  Have you built fallout
>shelters, store water, built electroscopes, etc?

Hello, John,

I'm trying to make sense of this all. I keep hearing so much doom and gloom
that I'm asking out of intellectual interest.

I do have two CDV-700s and an Aware RM-70 (IIRC). They are all G-M devices.
I don't have electroscopes, etc. I have not built a fallout shelter, but, I
have moved away from the LA Basin for other reasons to an area about 40
miles north of downtown Toronto--my wife's hometown.

In LA we used to store water and food, but don't do as much here. It was
for earthquake protection, not nuclear incidents. We keep a little here in
case we are blizzarded in.

I want to be informed to make decisions for my family--that was the
original intent of my joining the list. I had heard things around work like:

--"my brother works for the spook agency and he wants me to outfit my cabin
in the Sierras with a generator as a place to run to."

--"I lived in Montana and I wouldn't drive the Snake River route without a
Geiger Counter." (I did, and it showed background radiation peaking around
20µR/hr near some lava outcroppings and a bit more at the lip of the huge
open-pit mine in Butte MT. It was down to about 5 across the Canadian
prairies.)

This is pretty powerful stuff to hear when you've got two kids (at the time
around 5-8) and a wife and you travel a lot. Nothing I've done has made me
feel safer than joining this list, and I appreciate it.

My interest in EMP recently was started by a mention on an archives-related
mailing list and some people were making claims about EMP that sounded
rather, extravagant to say the least. It turns out from reading some of the
cited literature that the area of an EMP from a high-altitude blast is
continental. I haven't yet gotten to the strength of it. If someone
mentions something and it impacts work that I'm interested in, I like to
learn enough about it to confirm or debunk the claims.

The thought here is that as we migrate audio and video archives from analog
tape to digital storage (which may be on multiple hard-disk drives) that we
need to worry more about EMP wiping out the whole thing. Someone kindly
shot down that argument, but I've wanted to investigate enough to shoot it
down technically if it's bogus. More reading is in order.

I'm much more concerned about lightning than EMP, since it appears that the
light pole in front of my neighbor's home was taken out a few years ago by
a direct lightning hit. It also took out a fair amount of electronics in my
neighbor's home on the other (far) side. I'm taking reasonable precautions
to protect my equipment.

Also, my query about NGS/NPP effluents was in the spirit of trying to
understand the TFP how they can claim 30% increase in cancer when no
significant/measurable leaks are ever reported by the NGS which has the
responsibility to do such monitoring.

I do believe the scientists on this list that tell me that there is more
radiation in the coal-fired plant emissions than from an NGS.

So, no, I'm not digging a shelter, nor am I investigating membership in Ark
II which seems to be about 30-50 miles from me.

By the way, horrible happenings back in So. Cal. Looks like I got out in
time! Our home was on a decomposed granite hillside and from what I've
heard, nothing has happened. Stay dry!

Cheers,

Richard