[ RadSafe ] Air Monitoring "NOT SURE IF IT MADE IT THROUGH LAST WEEK"

Dave Biela Dave.Biela at wvnsco.com
Mon Feb 28 19:05:17 CET 2005

I wasn't sure if this made it through last week.  Looking for input from
commercial and government facilities.

As some of you have seen in RADSAFE postings lately, West Valley
Nuclear Services is receiving help at improving our radiological
program.  To this effect, I have a question.  The more responses the
better.

When wearing a respirator for radiological purposes:

1.  Do you take an air sample every time someone wears a mask?
2.  If you do not sample for all mask work, when do you decide to
monitor?
3.  Do you perform "Real Time" monitoring (CAM etc) for all mask
entries?
3.  What is your criteria for determining when to perform "Real Time"
monitoring (using a CAM, or direct checking your filter in the area) or
when you sample the air and count after the entry?
4.  Do you use CAMs to monitor highly contaminated areas (contamination
levels greater than 1,000,000 dpm/100cm-sq) or do you use a different
method for "Real Time" monitoring.

For your information:

1.  We currently take air samples when ever someone wears a mask (Very
few exceptions).
2.  Typically we count the air filter after the entry.
3.  When conditions can change dramatically (cutting pipe, opening
process systems) we perform "Real Time" monitoring typically counting
the filter while it is in the field as the job is progressing since we
are normally in areas with very high contamination levels.
4.  CAM's typically monitor our aisles and exits from containment.
They normally are not monitoring the air from a highly contaminated
area.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

dave.biela at wvnsco.com

Thank You in advance.