[ RadSafe ] Whole-body counting and actinides

JGinniver at aol.com JGinniver at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 00:09:12 CEST 2005

Khalid,
I'm a little confused by your post.  RWE Nukem in the UK, based at the
Harwell International Business Centre are an 'approved' company for internal
dosimetry.  They provide Internal dosimetry to a number of clients, but
predominantly the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority.  They mainly  assess doses
received from intakes of Uranium or Plutonium although have done  some work on
Thorium as well.  I'm confused as generally the preferred dose  assessment
technique is Urine analysis for Uranium and Faecal analysis for  plutonium.  They
have the ability to undertake Plutonium in Lung  measurements but the threshold
for this is about 1 Annual Limit on Intake (50  mSv).  They are also required
to provide wound monitoring for injuries  involving alpha emitting
radionuclides, but I'm not aware of direct measurements  being made on 'hot spots'.  It
might help if you can clarify what  radionuclides are involved and why hot
spots might be an issue.

Regards,
    Julian