[ RadSafe ] BEIR VII

Doug Aitken daitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Fri Jul 1 05:48:18 CEST 2005

At 04:39 PM 6/30/2005, goldinem at songs.sce.com wrote:
>It's both amusing and sad to see all you folks besmirching the credibility
>of some of the top radiobiologists and epidemiologists in the world because
>you simply don't agree with their conclusions.  Sounds an awful lot like
>the anti-nuclear movement.
>
>Moreover, you're reading way more doom and gloom into the report than is
>probably there.  I say "probably" because I haven't read the report and
>haven't even finished the entire summary......

Interesting that, while many news media seem to have jumped on the "doom
and gloom", the Reuters report (from Sandy's news summary today) seems to
take a rather balanced viewpoint:
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Exposure to everyday sources of radiation,
mostly medical X-rays, raises the risk of cancer but not by much and
there is no clear line between a harmless dose and a disease-causing
dose, an expert panel reported Wednesday....."

As you say, maybe some are jumping the gun in decrying the report.....
Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken
Schlumberger D&M QHSE Advisor