[ RadSafe ] Proving a negative

Falo, Gerald A Dr KADIX Jerry.Falo at us.army.mil
Fri Jul 1 14:20:55 CEST 2005

All,

The philosophers out there may disagree, but I'm pretty sure, if
properly bounded, a negative can be proven. For example, it is
relatively easy for me to prove that there are no functional automobiles
in my office. If that's too vague, the "experiment" can be narrowed:
prove that there are no automobiles that exceed the dimensions of my
office are within my office. In fact, the hoary adage "Absence of
evidence is not evidence of absence" is, like many platitudes, is in
need of qualification. If a properly designed experiment shows no
evidence for an effect, then that is indeed evidence of absence. Note, I
didn't say proof. I believe the Michelson-Morley experiment falls into
this category.

Have a safe and happy holiday! I don't want to see any evidence of
adverse health effects among RADSAFERs this weekend.

Jerry

________________________________

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my responsibility; no
one else (certainly not my employer) is responsible, but I still reserve
the right to make mistakes.

Don't panic! - Douglas Adams in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP
Kadix Systems
U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine - Health
Physics Program
jerry.falo at us.army.mil
410-436-4852