[ RadSafe ] RE: Medical Radiological Technician Oversight

Cindy Bloom and Steve LaMonica radbloom at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 15:41:50 CEST 2005

When we simplify rules, tell folks things are black or white and not gray,
and when we try to make arbitrary decisions for the consumer (which is the
patient, parent or guardian), we eliminate the opportunity to develop and
use good judgment.  It is likely that the technologist was told or heard
that only the patient is allowed in the room when the x-rays are on, and
missed the part about the extenuating circumstances associated with a child
or a confused, delirious or demented adult, where a parent, guardian or
other individual might be requested to assist, and appropriate instructions
(do not put your self in the direct bean, where this lead apron, etc.)
would be provided.

Although I have generally had good experience with medical personal, I was
asked to leave when when my 4-y old's hearing was tested.  I refused to
leave and watched the test.  I was told my child had a hearing problem,
which I questioned because I noticed that the light indicating that sound
was being produced did not come on for one of the tests.  I pointed this
out and my daughter's hearing was rechecked and pronounced fine.  Medical
personal are as human as the rest of us, and while most have their hearts
in the right place, their knowledge runs the gamut from marginally complete
to very well informed:  just like the rest of us.

If you care about something, you need to educate yourself about it.  A
crisis is a tough time to get educated, but share what you learn with
others so they will be better informed when their turn arrives.  We have
choices and rights in these situations.

Cindy