[ RadSafe ] BEIR VII

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Fri Jul 1 23:11:59 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I think people are taking the observation I made too seriously. It was not
presented as science, just an observation.

Certainly a well controlled scientific study must have a lot more variables
to consider. The point I was trying to make is that the general trend is for
higher backgrounds at higher altitudes, both from terrestial and cosmic ray
sources. However, the general trend is to have higher cancer rates at lower
altitudes.

I am not claiming that this is any measure of dose response or lack thereof.
Just that other environmental and/or demographic variables appear to
outweigh any negative effect that may exist at low dose.

The numbers I remember are that statistically significant excess cancers
have only been observed in humans at doses of 100 rads (1 Gy) and above with
the exception of breast cancer in women (0.5 Gy).  I do not remember off the
top of my head numbers for cancer in children. If there are newer and lower
statistically significant data, I would like to have a reference.

These numbers are for acute exposures where the dose is approaching or
exceeding the threshold for acute radiation sickness. It could reasonably be
expected that repair mechnisms may not work as well if for example the
individuals immune system is impaired.

The range of the statistically significant data is from about 0.5 to 5 Gy
acute exposure, and isn't even linear over this entire range since death
from acute sickness reduces the number of cancers developed at the high end
of the scale. Extrapolating this to 0.1 Gy acute exposure for regulatory
purposes is probably not out of line.

However, I still argue that extrapolating it to cover low dose rate
accumulated over a long period, and using it to estimate the number of
excess cancers in a population is not appropriate.

I also agree with Jim that using it to justify setting regulatory limits
that are unreasonably low is wrong. Setting limits of annual exposure to
individual members of the public lower than about 100 mrem/yr is essentially
impossible to implement in terms of being able to document.

As an example I once occupied an office that contributed and additional 40
mrem/year to my exposure compared to that in a nearby building. All due to
natural radioactivity in the building materials (about 30 uR/hr vs. about 10
uR/hr).

Another building had this same variation all in the same building. Basement
through third floor were constructed, and floors 4 through 7 added later.
The glaze in the tiles on the walls had about 3 times the natural
radioactivity in the lower floors.

I have seen tiles on one wall produce up to 100 uR near the wall. Note that
one has to be careful about instrumentation. Thin window instruments may
pick up the hard beta in the uranium chain, and produce high readings
compared to measurements made with the beta slide closed.

It is therefore a silly excercise to try to regulate really tiny exposures
when the variation among individual background exposures varies so much
depending on where they spend their time in one locality, much less across
different parts of the country.

Dale