[ RadSafe ] NRC Reports Lowest Average Occupational Dose Ever for NPPs in 2004

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 19:29:50 CEST 2005

On 2 Jul 2005 at 12:47, Thomas Potter wrote:

> But I believe that it is not coincidental that exposures have
> fallen substantially while operational reliability has increased
> substantially.  Effectiveness of radiation protection programs is
> greatly improved when plants are running right, and no radiation
> protection program can, by itself, make a plant run right.

Accurate assessment. When plants run, there is minimal dose, due to
less maintenance activities occurring. In the 80s and early 90s,
there were many NRC required backfit maintenance activities.
Obviously the man-rem values increased exponentially. INPO focused on
man-rem as an indicator for good practice and a well-run ALARA
program. This was not a good thing since man-rem, in many cases, was
going to happen when much needed work was scheduled, and as I said
above, much was regulatory mandated. Just because man-rem increases
does not equate to a poorly run plant. The dose per man-hour worked,
when compared to historical values for the same type of work should
be evaluated to determine the effectiveness of plant operations,
maintenance and scheduling.

When total man-rem becomes the indicator, and is assessed with
blinders on, the tendency was to not shut-down to perform the
necessary maintenance. Yes, man-rem was lower, but you have to pay
the piper some time, and it's like Mr. Goodwrench .. pay me now, or
pay me MORE later!

It's refreshing to see the industry move beyond the issues of the 80s
and 90s, where management has taken a new look at how to run and
maintain plants. There is now more ownership in cost and dose, and
that is always a good thing!

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/