[ RadSafe ] Re: dumbing down

DWard67262 at aol.com DWard67262 at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 00:04:28 CEST 2005

Subj:   Re: [ RadSafe ] [Fwd: Suggested public name change for APS]
Date:   7/6/05 3:36:53 PM Mountain Daylight Time
From:   DWard67262
To: crispy_bird at yahoo.com

With all due respect to you radsafers of more extensive credentials than I -
I disagree. Earlier this year I taught three essentially identical courses in
Atomic Physics, a subject I have taught intermittently for some 40 years.
These students did not have the background of students a decade ago. Each decade I
get the same impression of the current students.

I just returned from a High School reunion. In the 1950s, I had physics,
chemistry, calculus through introduction to integral calculus, and Latin. None of
those courses are taught at the pitiful excuse of what used to be my high
school. My students earlier this year had completed three years in an engineering
curriculum; two already had B.A.s in Physics, and Chemistry. None had had the
high school background mentioned above.

A few years ago I was teaching a course in engineered safeguards for the
company I worked for. Only one of about fifty students could grasp that hydrogen
would rise to the top of a containment building; the others had never heard of
Archimedes'Principle.

Our school system continues to turn out students less well prepared, by the
year.

The local newspaper uses slang and gutterlanguage that in my opinion is not
fit for print.

Dr.David G.Ward