[ RadSafe ] pyrophoric uranium considered nonessential

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Thu Jul 7 17:04:22 CEST 2005

James, after you tire finally of your pernicious pyrophoric phonic
euphorics, how soon might you challenge a truly serious topic like
gunpowder or spears?

Except, do not forget the west Texas cowboy who shared his secret of a
long life with his son:  religiously sprinkle a bit of gunpowder  every
morning on your cereal.  The son continued this important use of DU ...
er' ... I mean gunpowder, even as his father finally passed on at age
97. His  father left behind 14 children, 32 grandchildren, more than 50
great great grandchildren, and a 15 ft. hole in the wall of the crematorium!
Cheers,
Maury&Dog
================
James Salsman wrote:

> Professor Otto Raabe wrote:
>
>> No one can inhale monomeric UO3 at 1000 degrees Celsius because it is
>> too hot to breath, and the monomeric form tends to change to
>> molecular aggregates and decompose during cooling.
>

> The temperature of a particle suspended in air has no bearing on
> whether or not it can be inhaled.  That is beside the point. [After
> all, anyone can inhale a little overheated dust -- Maury]
>
> After being thrust into air by a fire, a molecule of UO3(g) is not
> likely to collide with more than a few dozen other UO3(g) particles,
> and not likely to glom onto any of them until it has had a

----------------  snipped to save bandwidth for serious fun ---------

PS I like the sound of that "thrusting, colliding, and gloming" business
-- that surely had potential in my younger years even before we so
fortunately developed DU anti-tank rounds  ....