[ RadSafe ] Re: Oceanic uranium l

jjcohen at prodigy.net jjcohen at prodigy.net
Sat Jul 9 01:40:53 CEST 2005

    It is rather presumptuous to suggest that the oceanic content of
Uranium, or any other element is the result of mankind's activities. For
example, the typical seawater concentration of uranium is about 1.0 ppm. The
volume of seawater on earth is ~10E24 liters so that the total oceanic
uranium content is ~10E12 tons , or about a thousand billion tons. I
seriously doubt that man has exploited more than 10 million tons over all of
history, a miniscule fraction of what the oceans hold..
    When the earth was first formed, I believe the oceans contained almost
pure water, but over millions of years of hydrologic cycles, minerals,
including uranium, mercury, etc were leached from geologic formations
eventually reaching the oceans, and the present total oceanic content of
these minerals far exceeds whatever man has ever utilized and/or disposed
of. Incidentally, that is also why oceanic disposal of radioacive, and/or
hazardous waste would provide a relatively safe and inexpensive option, if
the polittcal objections could ever be overcome.
Jerry Cohen