AW: RE: AW: [ RadSafe ] DNA Damage and Oxydative Processes

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Sun Jul 10 12:25:41 CEST 2005

John:

Having been a 'believer' (in my field of space radiation it did not really matter) in the LNT postulate for more than 30 years of the 35 years of my occupation with radiation, I wonder whether you fully appreciate the implications of your 'recommendation':

<I assume you would agree that those who are against the LNT might not be the best judges of BEIR VII.>

Adherence to such a principle essentially would spell the cessation of scientific progress. Please try to imagine the stage science would have got bogged down at, if only

(i) Ptolemynians were entitled to dispute Ptolemynian celestial mechanics,

(ii) only adepts of phlogiston theory were properly authorised to challenge phlogiston theory,

(iii) only stalwarts of the electromagnetic ether were competent to check out ether theory,

(iv) only vitalists were qualified to scrutinise vitalism

(v) only materialist were sufficiently versed to contest materialism.

You might also wish to find out by yourself the political implications associated with the question whether or not the LNT postulate does hold. For the large majority of the BEIR VII members (those which I kind of 'know') I am inclined to rule out any conscious pursuit of a personal political agenda. Yet, if you care to check the skirmishes going along with its commissioning you would agree that you need not malicious intent to imagine the political pressures accompanying BEIR-VII's proceedings.

Regards, Rainer