AW: RE: AW: [ RadSafe ] DNA Damage and Oxydative Processes

jjcohen at prodigy.net jjcohen at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 11 20:39:20 CEST 2005

Rainer,
    Again, you have presented an excellent and insightful review on how we
have degenerated into the current state of affairs. From my early training
until now, I have adhered to the logical reflective views of Paracelsus.
Interesting to note that up through the first half of the 20th century, the
Paracelsus philosophy "dosis facit venenum" (The Dose Makes the Poison)
was a prevailing paradigm in the practice on medicine and public health.
Things changed during the 1950's & 60's and, for reasons not entirely clear,
the Paracelsus philosophy was abandoned and seemingly displaced by
the LNT type of nonsense where for exposure to hazardous materials
"any is too much".
    Radiation was the first casualty in this process probably because of the
 undue influence of Muller's fruitfly experiments where anything <1.0 Sv.
was
considered to be low-dose radiation. Soon, the LNT idiocy spread to chemical
substances (DDT, PCBs, dioxin, asbestos, carcinogens, etc. etc.).
Several laws (CERCLA, TOSCA, etc),were enacted in the USA & elsewhere
legitimizing the idea that "any is too much".
Now, it seems unlikely that we can ever return to rationality.
Paracelsus--- where are you now that we really need you?
Jerry Cohen