[ RadSafe ] Re: Bob Nichols and Depleted Uranium in General

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Mon Jul 11 23:49:25 CEST 2005

Dr Phillips,

It appears that the only article in this list by Bob Nichols is the one from DISSIDENT VOICE dated March 2004, Title: "There Are No WordsSRadiation in Iraq Equals 250,000 Nagasaki Bombs.  The very title of this article is misleading and false and if this is the only article for which Project Censored has given Bob Nichols an award, it should be withdrawn.

The Indian Navy Admiral who supposedly made this statement has no idea what the radiation from one Nagasaki bomb is like, let alone 250,000.  Depleted Uranium does not emit the high level gamma radiation which would require thick lead or even thicker concrete shielding that is found in the fission products resulting from a nuclear explosion.  My understanding from a member of the radsafe list is that the amount of Depleted Uranium by weight used in these conflicts is about equal to 250,000 times the weight of the Highly Enriched Uranium used to make the bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki.   That in no way is a radiation equivalent.

In selecting Depleted Uranium as an under-reported subject, did you or your students obtain any input from a nuclear physicist or health physicist with an intimate understanding of radiation and radioactive materials?  How did you make your selections?  Is there a written record of the candidates and the means by which selections were made, including any independent fact checking of the articles to determine if the reporting was in fact factual?  If there is, please, send me this information?

All of the articles that you have listed have serious flaws.  Nichols, though trumpets his Project Censored Award in every single one of his articles including the ones that falsely accused the former Secretary of Veterans Affairs of resigning because of a non-existent "mushrooming DU scandal" and the one that slandered me that ended up all over the world, including the voice of the Iraqi Resistance in Italy.

Please, also send me the formal notice of the award to Bob Nichols.

I am copying my reply to the Radsafe list, where there are a number of knowledgeable experts in the field of ionizing radiation.

Thank you, for finally contacting me.

Roger W Helbig