[ RadSafe ] depleted uranium arms and birth defects

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Wed Jul 13 04:42:05 CEST 2005

Radsafers,

I wonder if this report had the full support of the Saddam government and if so how much of it was created to match political objectives vice being objective science.  I also wonder if anyone has validated the data in this study since Saddam's government fell in 2003.

Given that there are claims that scientific publications were embargoed under the UN Sanctions, I am a little surprised by the references that are cited.

DISCUSSION

The present study confirms that there is a significant rise in the incidence rate of congenital anomalies in Basrah during the period from 1990 to 1998. However, the figures reported are only underestimates, since it includes only discernible malformations. As

more precise means of detecting subtle anomalies become available, these estimates will certainly increase[2]. The fact that radioactivity of samples obtained from plants, soil and water in Basrah exceeded the natural background level, makes the hypothesis that the increased incidence of congenital anomalies due to such radiation more tenable. Such situation has been demonstrated in areas following nuclear accidents as in Chernobyl. For example in the Republic of Belarus which received different levels of radioactivity following the chernobyl catastrophe in 1986, the frequency of both congenital and fetal abnormalities has apparently increased[6]. The same phenomenon was also observed in Northwest Croatia, one of the areas with the highest nuclear contamination from chernobyl[7]. The types of congenital anomalies, which have increased in frequency in Basrah also, supports our hypothesis. Multiple congenital malformation, reduction limb deformities and central nervous system anomalies are known to be increased in the areas which have been exposed to increased radioactivity.

The increased incidence of congenital anomalies in such situation is presumably due to exposure of pregnant women to radiation which exceeds 3000 mrads[1]. Evidence of paternal exposure to ionising impact of radiation before conception or reproductive and development outcome is still inconclusive[8]. The evidence so far presented the effect of ionising radiation in this study on the incidence of congenital anomalies is circumstantial. Cytogenetic studies recently developed could strengthen such evidence by allowing to estimate the absorbed radiation also using DNA probes to detect chromosomal aberration[9].

REFERENCES

1.Jones KL. Dysmorphology. In: Nelson Textbook of Paediatrics. Editors: Behrman RE., Kliegman RM. and Arvin AA. W.B Saunders CO. 15th Edition 1996; 473-476.

2.Bishop JB, Witt KL & Sloane RA. Genetic toxicities of human teratogen. Mutation Research. 1997; 369: 9-43.

3.Sutton H.An. Introduction to Human Genetics. Saunders College, Philadelphia. 1980; 198-202.

4.Yacoub. A, et al. Depleted uranium and health of people in Basrah: an epidemiological evidence 1. The incidence and pattern of malignant diseases in Basrah 1990-1998. The Medical Journal of Basrah University. 1999.

5.Saleh M. & Megwar A. The effect of using depleted uranium by the allied forces on man and the bisphere in selected regions of southern area of Iraq. Apaper presented in the International Symposium on using Depleted uranium and its effect on Man and Environment in Iraq.

6.Lazjuk GI, Niko laev DL. & Novikova IV. Changes in registered congenital anomalies in the Republic of Belarus after the Chernoby1 accident. Stem Cells 1997; 15 Supp1.2: 253-260.

7.Kruslim B, Jukic S, Kos M et al. Congenital anomalies of the central nervous system at autopsy in Croatia in the period before and after Chernoby1 accident. Acta Medica Croatica. 1998; 52: 103-107.

8.Friedler G. Paternal exposure: impact on reproductive and developmental outcome. An overview. Pharmacological and Biochemical Behaviour. 1996; 55: 691-700.

9.Natarajan AT, Beoi JJ, Darroudi F et al. Current cytogentic methods for detecting exposure and effects of mutagens and carcinogens. Environmental Health Perspective 1996; 104 Supp1.3:445-448.