[ RadSafe ] depleted uranium arms and birth defects

Xiurong Liu xiurong.liu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:00:14 CEST 2005

On Wednesday, 6 July 2005, James Salsman wrote:

> That uranium accumulates in the testes and leads to birth defects
> has been established as fact since the 1950s.  But does the
> resulting birth defect incidence rate increase over time in an
> accelerating fashion as it has been in Basrah?

I believe Mr. Salsman is referring to the data published at this link:

http://www.irak.be/ned/archief/Depleted%20Uranium_bestanden/DEPLETED%20URANIUM-2-%20INCIDENCE.htm

Is the accelerating trend in Table 1 cause for alarm?
Have there been other *reproductive* toxins or toxicants to which
the residents of Basrah, Iraq are known to have been exposed?

> Our armed forces don't even bother to look; if they did, they
> would at the very least break 1991 combat-deployed ODS veterans
> out in this report:
>  http://www.bovik.org/du/mscusn/BIHR_annual_report_2000.pdf

I find all the files in that www.bovik.org/du/mscusn/ directory very
interesting, especially in the context of the transmittal.pdf file.

This report, published in 1993, indicates several substantial and
statistically significant increases in deployed versus nondeployed
Gulf War veterans:

http://www.bovik.org/du/mscusn/BD_Infants_GWV_AR_AZ_CA_GA_HI_IA_1989-1993.pdf

Yet, the BHIR_annual_reports for 1998-2000 do not show Gulf
War veterans in a separate category, even though the report
numbers on all apparently indicate a planned '05' publication date.

If the correlation is known, why not study it?  A large number of
different categories are provided without, apparently, any attempt
to study the known largest epidemiological correlations in those
three annual reports

That reeks of politics at the expense of science, and of a blatant
cover up.