AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

Jan Skowronek jskowronek at ietu.katowice.pl
Wed Jun 1 07:17:20 CEST 2005

 In general, there is a strong negative correlation between UF and
the ratio of WL/r (equilibrium factor), or .UF x WL/r  = K, another
constant.

In case of radon progeny (in  mines, buildings and other closed areas) you
have to take into account the plateout effect of radon propgeny on e.g.
walls, engines etc. - it means that this equation is not valid.

 In mines, there is so much dust that one can assume UF = 0,

Basing on Polish experience - it is not true. We found  in underground coal
mine some places where UF concentration in air reach 20% (average 5.7%) of
Rn progeny concentration (see proceedings of TENR International Conference
in Szczyrk, Poland, 1996 - available in Central Mining Institute in
Katowice)

 Moreover, it is much easier to measure r
than to measure WL. That is why everyone measures r. .

In Polish mines WL (expressed as potential alpha energy concentration of
short lived radon progeny - PAEC, microJoules per cubic meter) is measured,
not radon concentration. We measure simultaneously the dust concentration
and PAEC, using the typical dust sampler and sampling probe ALFA-31 or
ALFA-2000 for radon progeny.

dr hab. inz. Jan SKOWRONEK
Instytut Ekologii Terenów Uprzemyslowionych
Institute for Ecology of Industrial Areas
ul. Kossutha 6
40-844 Katowice/Poland
tel.: (+48-32) 2540164
fax: (+48-32) 2541717