AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

GELSG at aol.com GELSG at aol.com
Wed Jun 1 07:35:57 CEST 2005

Dr. Cohen:

I generally agree with your work and conclusions on indoor radon.   However,
the statement below troubles me.  In theory, in laboratory  conditions, one
can approach a UF of 1.0.  However, (and I have seen very  little data on this
point) I have never heard of real world UFs of more than  0.1, much less 1.0.
If you do have such data, I would like to see  it.  In my house, we always
seem to have plenty of dust, even with the  electrostatic precipitator running.
I have always believed that, in the  real world of opening doors and leaking
windows and cooking and playing  children, there will always be plenty of
"replacement dust" particles.  In  that case, I would take exception with your
conclusion about electrostatic  precipitators, and state that they would be a very
good means of reducing lung  exposure to radon daughters in homes that are
not laboratory glove boxes.   As such, we should be actively encouraging, not
discouraging, their use.

Gerald Gels

_blc+ at pitt.edu_ (mailto:blc+ at pitt.edu)  wrote:
"As an example, one
can drastically reduce the WL by removing the dust (for example, with an
electrostatic precipitator), but the newly formed radon daughters have
no dust to attach to, so UF = 1.0, and the danger is not  reduced."