AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Residential radon risk

Philippe Duport pduport at uottawa.ca
Wed Jun 1 15:31:03 CEST 2005

Please see "Determination de la fraction libre d'activité existant sous
forme de RaA non attaché dans l'atmosphère d'une mine d'uranium" by A.
Chapuis, A. Lopez, J. Fontan, Health Physics Vol. 25, pp. 59-65 (1973).   At
that time, Health Physics accepted papers in French!  The fact that some
papers were published in French or in languages other than English does not
imply that the research has not been done and the information does not
exist.

Chapuis et al report unattached fraction values from 1 or 2% close to an
active stope, up to 15 to 20% without, or far enough from, active mining
operations.  Miners do not spend all their time in close proximity to active
mining operations.

I measured  unattached fraction values of the order of 30% in an isolated,
inactive part of an underground uranium mine with forced ventilation (P.
Duport, G. Madelaine, A. Renoux. Mesure de la fraction libre dans l'air
d'une mine d'uranium laboratoire, Chemosphere 4(5):283-288, 1975) - sorry,
another paper in French.

The unattached fraction is of course very sensitive to aerosol
concentration, but it is a serious mistake to assume that it is always
negligible in mines.

Philippe Duport