[ RadSafe ] DU and other sublimed metals; nano-pathology

james.g.barnes at att.net james.g.barnes at att.net
Thu Jun 2 02:05:13 CEST 2005

Dear all;

Several months ago, I was forwarded a paper by Dr. Antonietta Gatti, who is a researcher in the subject of nano-pathology (the effect of sub-micron particles on health).  In this particular work Dr. Gatti described a technique whereby extremely tiny particles of metals (and maybe other materials; I forget) can be located and identified at the cellular level.  Because of the particles are extremely small, they don't behave as larger particles do, and can quite readily migrate throughout the body.  In this application, Dr. Gatti was evaluating tumor tissues of individuals living in the Balkans (and I believe some Italian soldiers) who had purportedly been exposed to DU munitions.  By examining the cancerous tissues, identifying nano-particles, and identifying the materials, she hoped to determine if uranium was a possible causative agent in these cancers.

Interestingly, she didn't find any DU in these tissues at all, but she did find relatively large quantities of other metals (particularly lead).  Her hypothesis is that the DU (and tungsten) ignite and burn at extremely high temperatures upon impact, which then vaporize the associated metallics in the round.  She hypothesis that this extremely high temperature creates a large quantity of nanoparticles of various compositions. It appears that these are inhaled or ingested, and then migrate into the body tissues, with the subsequent potential for carcinogenesis.  The fact that DU was not present in the cancerous tissue, but other metals were, is quite interesting.  It doesn't prove the other metals are the cancer causing agents, but it does seem to de-emphasize DU as a culprit.

The discussion at the below link appears very similar to what I read, although I think I had a slightly different version.

http://avigolfe.ifrance.com/studies.htm

[If you scroll down a bit, there are several photo-micrographs of deposited particles.]

I'll add that I met Dr. Gatti late last year in New York.  I was impressed with her work and the directions that it appears to lead.  My sense was (and is) that she has approached this question in a scientific manner, and didn't appear to me to be biased in one direction or the other on the subject of DU.

Jim Barnes, CHP
james.g.barnes at att.net