[ RadSafe ] questions of honesty (was Re: WISE Uranium....)

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Jun 14 13:14:21 CEST 2005

>almost everyone in the health physics profession who might raise the
points I have been raising would put at least their reputation ... and
at most their job security at risk.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Andy Karam spoke eloquently and summarized
accurately, in my opinion, the state of our profession. Certification in
Health Physics, which some choose to pursue, is bestowed and maintained
not only based on academic performance but also adherence to a strong
set of ethical beliefs and behavior. Among those who may or may not be
certified, my experience is the same as Andy's; I have never directly
encountered any cases of intentional scientific misconduct or
suppression of evidence that would support it. HPs are on the whole hard
working, honest professionals that know that they work in a area that
crosses many scientific disciplines, and they regularly work with other
professionals to ensure that their workers' safety is assured,
recognizing that radiation is only one of the agents involved in many
cases. Like Andy, I am baffled at your sweeping indictments of our
profession, when I find it to be one marked by above average levels of
honesty, integrity and interdisciplinary thinking. We all make jokes
about politicians, lawyers, and car salespeople, but you have to admit
that these professions do have their charlatans, and many of us have
directly encountered them. Beyond honesty and integrity, I have always
been struck by the way that HPs are generally such approachable and
down-to-earth people, especially many of the brightest of them, a
quality that I do not always observe in the medical circles that I also
move in. I'm proud to be an HP and to be an educator who encourages
young people to choose it as a profession!

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068