[ RadSafe ] questions of honesty (was Re: WISE Uranium....)

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Tue Jun 14 13:45:34 CEST 2005

Michael Stabin wrote, in reply to:

>> almost everyone in the health physics profession who might raise the
>> points I have been raising would put at least their reputation ... and
>> at most their job security at risk.
>
> I disagree wholeheartedly....

If you believe that the points I have raised do not pose a threat
to the reputation or job security of those inside the profession,
then why have I had to raise them, instead of those entrusted with
the responsibility for their subject matter?

> I am baffled at your sweeping indictments of our profession....

This profession puts people without any developmental toxicology
training in charge of the regulation of developmental toxins, and
you can't understand why I'm speaking up about it?  I find it
hard to believe that you do not understand, very well, my fear
about the use of nuclear waste by terrorists and despots.

Do you not agree that putting people without any developmental
toxicology training in charge of the regulation of developmental
toxins is negligent?  Do you not agree that it is reckless?  Do
you not agree that it has been done willfully?  If not, why not?

> I'm proud to be an HP and to be an educator who encourages
> young people to choose it as a profession!

I don't see how anyone could be proud of the fact that after
several decades of mass industrial uranium refinement, nobody
can quantify its reproductive toxicity in humans.

Members of this profession have proven that they would rather
call for censorship and shunning than discuss uncomfortable
questions -- not just because they don't know the answers, but
because they know if the public became aware of the answers,
then many of them would likely be out of work.

It's the same problem with the Price-Anderson act.  If nuclear
power is so great, why doesn't anyone in the insurance
industry cover it?  I'd love to see you all to compete at the
50+ cents/kwh that you would have to charge if you went out
and got regular insurance like every other power company has
to do.  The state subsidy to prop up nuclear power would be
even greater if we were giving the nuclear waste the kind of
protection that it deserves from potential terrorism.

It's time to end the foolishness, and start building wind farms.

Sincerely,
James Salsman