[ RadSafe ] Inshurance for Nuclear Workers

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 19 16:53:27 CEST 2005

Dear Radsafers,

Michael Rennhack's suggestion of introducing special insurance for workers in nuclear industry implies that the profession carries extra risk.Work in nuclear industry is no riskier than that in any other profession.It is safer than any other industry. Nuclear workers are less exposed occupationally than others. The radiation dose generally is of the order of a few mSv. Occupational exposures to nuclear workers are thus well within the limits prescribed by the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP).

All countries have accepted the concept that radiation workers should not be extended any special privilege, extra compensation, insurance, special leave etc. The IAEA, ILO, WHO, PAHO, NEA/OECD sponsored International Basic Safety Standards for Protection agaist Ionizing Radiation and the Safety of Radiation Sources clearly enunciates this principle.

Let me hasten to add that in India, radiation workers in medical diagnostic x-ray installations in many State owned hospitals are given privileges such as an extra month of paid leave; the privilege is not available to radiation workers in the hospitals owned by the Central Government.Special insurance was not extended  to radiation workers in either State owned or Central hospitals

.The privileges were given to radiation workers in State Governements based on practices existed in 1930s!. I understand it started with radiation workers who handled radium and later extended to other radiation workers.

I believe that those who advocate special insurance to workers in nuclear industry knows next to nothing about the safety status of this well organised industry. Radiation safety professionals should not support any move to extend special privileges to workers in nuclear industry. Obviously extending privileges and special compensation must not be a substitute for appropriate radiological protection measures.

I was told that many years ago, some managements owning radiation installations in India used to give special nurishment containing extra proteins and milk to radiation workers to ensure that the "damage" to their health due to radiation exposure is repaired promptly! Workers then used to believe in the myth! Provision of extra nourishment was probably an ideal method to keep excellent industrial relations!

My two cent worth contribution

K.S.Parthasarathy

Michael Rennhack <rennhack at hotmail.com> wrote:
Greetings RadSafers,

I have been approached by MANY people, suggesting that I offer group
insurance for nuclear workers. In recent months, the request has come more
frequently from more sources. I believe that we can work out a deal where
all nuclear workers can get a group rate as NukeWorker members. This rate
should be better than what most companies can offer. In fact, I'm proposing
that while you are working, your company take the money they would normally
pay towards your insurance, and send it to us to cover your plan (pre tax).
Then, when you get laid off, you won't have to worry about cobra, and
setting up new insurance. And you won't have to worry about the different
plans from different companies.

I'll get some rates for different levels of coverage as well. Some people
only want major medical with a large deductible; others want full coverage
with a small deductible. We will offer several options.

What does everyone think? I know less than nothing about insurance, but I
am willing to make this happen, to help everyone out. How many people are
interested in this?

Please visit this link and give us your thoughts:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=5697