[ RadSafe ] Medical Radiological Technician Oversight

David Englehart davee at med-phys.com
Thu Jun 23 14:09:34 CEST 2005

Arthur,

The best mechanism put into place to assure patients have their x-ray exam
done properly is a thorough and comprehensive training program for the
technologist, leading to certification through the ARRT.  Many states
require technologists to be certified and licensed, some don't.  I live in a
state that has no requirements for techs to be trained, certified and
licensed.  Though, they do regulate beauticians, assuring no one in Mo. gets
an unsafe hair cut.

There are a few things that should be in place that the certified and
licensed tech should adhere to.  A tech should obtain continueing education
hours per ARRT, state, and fed requirements to further their expertise.
Techs should be trained in understanding and performing QC for both the
x-ray unit and the film processor, particularly for modalities like
mammography, CT, ultrasound, MR, and nuclear medicine.  Technique charts
should be posted at the machine they are working at, especially if it is a
portable, or an older unit not equipped with automatic exposure control.
The facility providing the exam should have a preventive maintenance
schedule for their service engineer to follow.  The tech should be
experienced and trained enough to know when to call service if the unit is
not performing normally or when QC testing indicates a problem.  A medical
physicist should be retained to cosult with the facility regarding the
points made above, perform annual testing, and provide further training to
the technologist.

Sincerely,

David Englehart
Medical Physics Services Ltd.