[ RadSafe ] Medical Radiological Technician Oversight

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Thu Jun 23 16:27:34 CEST 2005

David,
I agree that training and certification are good things to have for technologists, but will
that make a significant difference in patient dose?  I don't see much evidence to
indicate that that is the case.  No technologist I know acts as if patient dose reduction is
part of the imaging job, and I work in a state *with* credentialing requirements.  I think
the other things you mentioned are more important in that regard.  Regulated dose
limits, regular checks, and penalties for failure to comply are what really reduce patient
dose.  If credentialed technologists were the key, then pediatric CT doses would not
have caught everybody with their pants down.  Repeat analysis helps but its only done
at JCAHO facilities.  Also, there is significant inconsistency in the regulations with
respect to dose.  Consider the various dose limits (or lack thereof) for x-ray vs CT,
fluoro, & mammography.

Back to Arthurs question:

> What mechanisims are in place to prevent Medical Radiological Techs from
> intentionally or unintentionally overexposing their patients

Arthur, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you are asking about a
specific scenario.  Can you elaborate?  What sort of exam? X-ray, fluoro, CT, ....?

Thanks,
Gary Isenhower