[ RadSafe ] Medical Radiological Technician Oversight

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 14:10:48 CEST 2005

It is called the switch.

Seriously, except for the very rare mechanical failure
of the equipment, exposure parameters are usually well
defined to produce the appropriate image.  Of course,
I assume you are refering to diagnostic imaging.  In
many cases, the equipment has automatic exposure
control (ACE) devices to monitor the radiation passing
through the receptor.  The ACEs will cut back on the
voltage or amperage, or both, to ensure the proper
image.

There is no benefit in giving the patient too much
radiation, as there is no benefit in giving too little
radiation.

--- A <ab19283 at excite.com> wrote:

> Dear Radsafe Folks,
>
> What mechanisims are in place to prevent Medical
> Radiological Techs from intentionally or
> unintentionally overexposing their patients to
> X-rays?
>
> Sincerely,
> Arthur
>
>. . .

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com