[ RadSafe ] RE: Medical Radiological Technician Oversight

Paul Lavely lavelyp at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 25 03:17:05 CEST 2005

John,

I missed the intentional part.

>What mechanisims are in place to prevent Medical Radiological Techs
>from intentionally or unintentionally overexposing their patients to
>X-rays?

I looked only to the issue of unnecessary exposures. My experience
was the rad tech who took 7 sequential x-rays of my 2 year old son
that "didn't come our right." At that point, I intervened and said
that no more x-rays would be taken until the problem was determined
and addressed. In this case it was movement. The tech refused to
allow me (or anyone else) to be in the room with the child while the
x-ray was taken. The kid was hurt, scared, and in a place (and alone)
that he had never been before. I knew that my dose would be in the 1
to 2 mrem range, but it took the hospital's head of radiology
involvement to get that permission. Additionally the struggle and
delay did not help.

However, you are clearly correct - why. There was a popular fiction
book (maybe by Cook) that had a HMO provider killing off selected
patients with a BIG rad source in a ridiculously small shield under a
special hospital bed.  Perhaps questions such as this (or irrational
fears) are spawned by the fiction around us on TV, in movies, and in
print.

It seems that hospitals offer a variety of "potentially undetectable
lethal weapon(s)." A person could choose from pain med overdose,
equipment failure, insulin dosing, succinylcholine, administration of
a med a person with an extreme allergic (they are noted on the
charts). and the list goes on. Would they be found out? Perhaps and
perhaps not. The death of a very sick patient of apparent natureal
causes would no necessitate calling in Quincy or CSI. However, why
would someone do these things and why would they select radiation as
their weapon?

I have had a couple of aspiring writers ask me about the use of
radiation as a poison and I have told them about time, distance,
shielding, and access to the material. A "dirty bomb" story sounds
good; however, it is far from practical. For most people large
amounts of radiation or radioactive materials is hard to get' but,
your ACE hardware store can provide a variety of poisons.

By the way, a California legislator is proposing a law that would
require tracking of patient medical exposures and that MDs consider
the history in making a decision as to tests.

Paul