[ RadSafe ] RE: Medical Radiological Technician Oversight

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Sat Jun 25 06:57:56 CEST 2005

"The tech refused to
allow me (or anyone else) to be in the room with the child while the
x-ray was taken. The kid was hurt, scared, and in a place (and alone)
that he had never been before."

Comment:

I think about 6 years ago I wrote to Radsafers on conforters and visitors to
support patients. Anyhow taking into account your above topic, the Basic
Safety Standards, IAEA Safety Series 115, recommends, page 93:

DOSE LIMITATION FOR COMFORTERS AND VISITORS OF PATIENTS*
Dose limitation for comforters and visitors of patients
II-9. The dose limits set out in this part shall not apply to comforters of
patients, i.e.,
to individuals knowingly exposed while voluntarily helping (other than in
their
employment or occupation) in the care, support and comfort of patients
undergoing
medical diagnosis or treatment, or to visitors of such patients. However,
the dose of
any such comforter or visitor of patients shall be constrained so that it is
unlikely that
his or her dose will exceed 5 mSv during the period of a patient's
diagnostic examination
or treatment. The dose to children visiting patients who have ingested
radioactive materials should be similarly constrained to less than 1 mSv.

To those interested to go ahead, please look at the site
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1117_scr.pdf

to download the Radiological Protection for Medical Exposure to Ionizing
Radiation
IAEA SAFETY GUIDE No. RS-G-1.5

Please look also at RADIATION SAFETY
http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Reports/Anrep2002/radiation_safety.pdf

Radiological Protection of Patients

A Safety Guide on radiological protection for medical exposure to ionizing
radiation, jointly sponsored by the Agency, PAHO and WHO, was published. It
provides recommendations on how safety requirements can be applied to
protect patients, comforters and visitors of patients against exposure to
ionizing radiation in medical practice in compliance with the BSS.
Specifically, recommendations cover the establishment of guidance levels for
diagnostic medical exposures, acceptance testing processes for radiation
equipment, calibration of radiotherapy units and the reporting of accidental
medical exposures.
As recommended by the 2001 Málaga conference on the radiological protection
of patients in diagnostic and interventional radiology, nuclear medicine and
radiotherapy, the Agency formulated an action plan based on the findings of
the conference. The Board of Governors approved the plan in September 2002,
and implementation is proceeding. Areas highlighted in the action plan
include education and training, information exchange, provision of guidance
and assistance to Member States in the implementation of safety standards,
research on radiation doses in new technologies, and the collection and
dissemination of
information on accidental medical exposure.

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze at netvision.net.il
Israel