[ RadSafe ] Clinton Takes on Uranium Inhalation Poisoners

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 23:13:35 CEST 2005

My, how cynical.  Have you read the HPS Position
Paper, "Radiation Risk in Perspective," August 2004
http://hps.org/documents/radiationrisk.pdf
I believe that it is similar to the one published by
the American Nuclear Society.

--- "Muckerheide, James" <jimm at wpi.edu> wrote:

> I agree, to a point.  Most HPs do exactly that.
> Many don't.  But the failure
> is in the standard-setting that generates the
> massive funding for protecting
> against extreme limits, e.g., EPA set YM limits at 4
> mrem/year in water, and
> 4 mrem/year from radium in water, now costing
> municipal water systems $100s
> millions. Other than a few personal opinions bandied
> about, where were the
> HPs?  The anti-nuke DOE Secretary (Richardson) used
> an anti-nuke (Michaels)
> to work outside DOE to collect discredited papers in
> a report and claimed
> DOE/AEC workers are 'cold war victims' (with doses
> below established limits).
> We could get no HPs to speak out.  Many HPs are out
> fear-mongering the public
> about "site cleanups" at doses that are much less
> than 1% of the variation in
> background radiation.  The core problem is the lack
> of integrity in
> responding to the specifically dishonest assessments
> produced by the closed
> NCRP/ICRP et al. 'advising' (and controlling rad
> protection appointments in)
> national and int'l govt agencies.  There is no HP
> constraint on dose limits
> getting ever more extreme (generating jobs).  The
> only limit is to avoid the
> premise that radiation should be prohibited.Will HPs
> accept the conclusion
> that 1-2% of cancers in nuclear workers are caused
> by radiation?  While
> knowing that nuclear wokers have lower cancer rates
> than non-nuclear workers?
>
> Regards, Jim Muckerheide

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com