[ RadSafe ] Absurd? Oh, the irony!

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Tue Jun 28 20:08:16 CEST 2005

Hi Bob & all:
I have to respectfully disagree with the comments by both Greenpeace and Bob about the radioactive waste issues related to fusion electric generation. While there are many short lived radioactive waste products from fusion, there is also a great deal of very, very long-lived neutron activation products generated in any conceivable set of materials forming the confinement system.  So Greenpeace's assertion that:
``Nuclear fusion poses the exact problems of nuclear fission in  the production of radioactive waste..." is not accurate or meaningful.

The radwaste problems are different in fusion vs. fission but both involve substantial radwaste material handling and disposal issues, with fusion having more of a challenge related to long-lived activation products from what I have read.

For both fusion and fission electric plants,  the radwaste issues are not a real obstacle to electric generation. However, the issue would have to be managed and dealt with responsibly.

Stewart Farber