[ RadSafe ] Re: Absurd? Oh, the irony!

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 07:01:56 CEST 2005

Hmmmmm,

     This is from:    jpreisig at aol.com    .

      Hey Radsafers,

           I am somewhat perplexed by John Andrews' comments on fusion and
      energy retrieval from fusion neutrons.  I don't believe one has to use a
      uranium blanket for energy retrieval from the fusion neutrons.

           All one has to do is create a water layer (or blanket, if you
will) around
      the fusion reactor.  The 15 MeV neutrons will give up much of their
      energy in collisions with the water atoms.  The water is thus heated
and
      used to drive a turbine to produce electricity.  That's all.

           The big technical problem in fusion is creating a hot enough
plasma
      which can be contained in a stable manner (for a long enough time).
The
      containing is done using magnetic fields.  See Lawson's Criterion (and