[ RadSafe ] Absurd? Oh, the irony!

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Wed Jun 29 06:37:57 CEST 2005

Lithium blanket?  breeds tritium; working fluid carries away heat to generate
electricity.

Does inertial confinement work differently?

Regards, Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl on behalf of John Andrews
Sent: Tue 6/28/2005 11:06 PM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Absurd? Oh, the irony!

The problem as I see it with fusion is that all the execss energy is
given to neutrons.  In order to convert this essentially thermal energy
of the neutrons into usable thermal energy we have to use uranium as a
blanket to convert the energy into fission energy using the vastly
greater energy of the fission products to convert to heat.  Lots of it.
With that process we are back to all the problems we have today of
radioactive waste.  The fusion process is pie in the sky until we talk
about the real problem of converting the fusion energy into heat and
then into electricity.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennesse

bobcherry at cox.net wrote:

>``Nuclear fusion poses the exact problems of nuclear fission in the
production of radioactive waste, the risks of accidents and proliferation,''
said Frederic Miller, head of Greenpeace France's nuclear campaign, in an
e-mailed statement. ``France seems hypnotized by this absurd project.''
>--------------
>
>I wrote a high school English paper on controlled nuclear fusion back in
1963, at a time when fusion power plants were about "ten years away." At one
time, I intended to get my PhD in plasma physics, but the local draft board
altered my plans and diverted my course.

>In my opinion, controlled nuclear fusion to produce electricity is the
primary long-term solution to humanity's energy needs. Once it is online, it
can eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels (hydrogen produced from water
using hydrolysis would replace gasoline and natural gas) and nuclear fission
for almost all needs.

>It is well known that the radioactive wastes are relatively short-lived and
highly manageable, despite whatever Greenpeace might say to further its
agenda. The reaction is so difficult to maintain that it can't run away; if
something goes wrong, the reaction stops (some plasma physicists compare
controlled nuclear fusion to squeezing Jello). And I would like an
explanation of how controlled fusion leads to nuclear proliferation.

>The physics was done in the 30s. The engineering remains a formidable task
of scaling and control. We need to get to it.

http://radlab.nl/radsafe/