[ RadSafe ] Bicycle accident or collaps of the civilization (radioactive leaks)

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:49:47 CEST 2005

>The comment by George Stanford reminded me of a quote attributed to George
>Bernard Shaw:
>"A newspaper is an institution that can't tell the difference between a
>bicycle accident and the
>collapse of a civilization."

The quotation above matches some Swedish headlines today. "Radioactive leaks
from Forsmark nuclear power plant to the Baltic Sea" etc. Real news is that
some barrels in a waste depository have leaked a few cubic meters with a
total of the order of 6-7 MBq (according to the best estimate I could get).
The estimated dose to the environment will thus be increased (due to
releases) from around 1xE-8 mSv to 1xE-7 mSv. Major newspapers, radio and TV
stations are making some money on this today.
If any of the above is wrong I will correct it ASAP.

Links (examples) to some media for those who understand Swedish:
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=307913
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,666091,00.html
http://www.tv4.se (click on WEBB-TV => "High radioactivity at Forsmark")
http://www.sr.se/ekot/

My personal action and reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com