[ RadSafe ] HEPA filters for radioisotope fume hoods

Peter.Vernig at med.va.gov Peter.Vernig at med.va.gov
Wed Jun 29 22:16:49 CEST 2005

Somebody not too long ago, say 1 to 3 years informed me why so many places
have HEPA filtration of fume hoods where radioisotopes are used.  In
virtually all research situations dispersible powered radioactive material
is not used so HEPAs make no sense.  I have seen them at NASA's Ames
Research Center and UC Berkeley both institutions should know better.

My recollection is that it was a building code or "best practice" that some
ill advised agency put into place.  If the person that sent me the
information or anybody else knows about it I would greatly appreciate
getting it retransmitted to me.  I have just discovered such an arrangement
and in order to kill it, it would be very helpful to know the source of the
practice.

Any opinions in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and are not
represented as those of the VA Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans
Affairs, or the US Government.

Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, MS-115, VA Eastern Colorado
Health Care System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220,
peter.vernig at med.va.gov, Phone= 303.399.8020 x2447; Fax = 303.393.5026,
alternate fax, 303.393.5248

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is
admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy, let your
mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus