[ RadSafe ] HEPA filters for radioisotope fume hoods

Raymond Ilson raymond.ilson at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 30 15:39:28 CEST 2005

Hi Peter:

We also have HEPA filters in the exhaust train of most of our laboratory "fume" hoods. In the great majority of cases they serve no purpose, as you have noted.
Many years ago I approached each of our safety functions (envir/hygiene/rad) about this and  all agreed that they serve no purpose with the possible exception
of some geology labs. Perhaps a few hoods in a building could be dedicated to any work requiring such a filter.

Biological cabinets/laminar flow hoods are a different matter.

Regardless of this, the Facilities and Services management would not remove them. They cited the need to rebalance the systems etc - despite the obvious cost
savings of removing the filters and cutting back on the power demands of the exhaust fans. They even quoted the famous "we've always done it this way".

My other concern is with the safety of the staff who must remove these filters when they become so dirty that the exhaust becomes inefficient. At that point,
some poor building engineer must climb a ladder and remove the filthy filter with considerable difficulty and some danger because this is overhead work. At that
time, PPE must be worn because the layers of dust and other materials (kimwipes etc) on the filter may have become contaminated with condensates and the filter
is thus an exposure and waste problem! In spite of this, the filter is then replaced (~$80 each?) and so on and so on  ......

Common sense seems to elude us on this one!

Ray