[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: Celebrating The World Year of Physics]

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 17:13:23 CET 2005

Every year is a celebration of physics for us.

http://www.spsnational.org/societynews/2005WYP_shirts.htm

http://www.scienceacross.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.showcontent&node=374

http://www.physics2005.org/events/talentsearch/index.html

http://www.physics2005.org/events/einsteinathome/index.html
> [...]
> nations by the enlightening power of physics.
> Register at http://www.wyp2005.at/glob1-light.htm
> >
> > 5) If you're still reading after all this, I have
> a reward for you! We've got a few extra SPS 2005
> calendar and Einstein posters---if you want one just
> calendar poster or an Einstein poster, and I'll send
> them out until they run out!
> >
> > 6) Summer science opportunities for undergraduates
> are on The Nucleus! Go to www.compadre.org/student
> > If you know an opportunity that needs to be
> posted, contact us at sps at aip.org
> >
> > SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma have been contributing to
> the physics part of the National Science Digital
> Library (www.ComPADRE.org), offering prizes for
> participants, providing focus groups, editorial
> services, and critiques, as well as providing many
> of its users. Many in the scientific community are
> begininning to notice that a student organization
> like SPS has much to offer the rest of the
> professional community beyond merely future society
> members, and SPS is serving as a role model in this
> regard. If you haven't seen 'The Nucleus' go check
> it out, and find out what it's all about.
> >

> > SPS and Sigma Pi Sigma, linked but distinct:
> > SPS is the Society of Physics Students, the
> professional society for physics students and their
> mentors. With over 4500 members in over 700 chapters
> on college campuses, SPS provides opportunities for
> physics students across the nation, including
> research awards, outreach programs, scholarships,
> and travel awards. The SPS website (at
> www.spsnational.org) provides information and
> applications for these opportunities, as well as
> other physics contacts, society news, hot science,
> physics career information, and the lighter side of
> physics. SPS membership is $20 per year and
> undergraduate members receive Physics Today magazine
> as well as the opportunity to become part of one of
> 10 other physics professional societies through the
> joint membership program. About 500 of the 700 SPS
> chapters also have Sigma Pi Sigma chapter on campus.
> >
> > Sigma Pi Sigma (www.sigmapisigma.org) is the
> national physics honor society, with chapters in
> about 500 of the 700 SPS campuses. Members, usually
> upper level undergraduates but sometimes graduate
> students, alumni, and faculty, are elected into
> Sigma Pi Sigma based on academic record. About
> 37,000 members of Sigma Pi Sigma receive Radiations,
> the society's official publication, twice per year.
> Sigma Pi Sigma members pay one-time dues ($25 if
> already a member of Society of Physics Students;
> $45, if not) upon their reception into the society,
> and many of them choose to support SPS programs,
> scholarships, and awards through annual donations
> made to the society. The society hosts a Congress
> every four years; the most recent Sigma Pi Sigma
> Congress was held Albuquerque in October, 2004, and
> served as a kick-off event for the 2005 World Year
> of Physics celebration. Details about how an SPS
> chapter can be expanded to include a Sigma Pi Sigma
=== message truncated ===

=====
"Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."
DR. PETER BEILENSON, the city's health commissioner.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com