[ RadSafe ] RE: Hospital emergency response and RDD waste management

Peter.Vernig at med.va.gov Peter.Vernig at med.va.gov
Thu Mar 3 16:03:49 CET 2005

Chris,

Alright after thinking about it I think you are right although I don't have
as much angst about it going into a storm drain as you appear to.  My
feeling is that in the vast majority of scenarios you are talking a large
volume of mildly contaminated water [rad or chem contamination]  But because
storm drains drain to uncontrolled areas, rivers, canals and such it would
be better to have it contained.  My biggest concern would be in areas like
this [Denver] where we have lots of streams that are seasonal and dry up so
it could flow out into a dry bed and soak in instead of flow on and get
further diluted.  Over flow could happen but that would mean lots of water
and lots of dilution.

I have some small concern that a chemical contaminant might interfere with
the water treatment plant but I don't really know how they operate and my
feeling is that the massive dilution should take care of that.

So I will amend my suggestion.  Put the run off in the sanitary sewer.

Any opinions in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and are not
represented as those of the VA Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans
Affairs, or the US Government.

Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, MS-115, VA Eastern Colorado
Health Care System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220,
peter.vernig at med.va.gov, Phone= 303.399.8020 x2447; Fax = 303.393.5026,
alternate fax, 303.393.5248

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is
admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy, let your
mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus