AW: [ RadSafe ] justification the use of a radioactive sourceintoasters

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Mar 4 00:25:57 CET 2005

Jaro,

My first reaction was to look at my calender - no, it is not April 1st.
Secondly I looked more carefully at the text. It seems to be genuine and
the UK institution distributing it is obviously a serious and reliable
source. Whatever they receive has to be published. Thirdly I considered
that the request for clarification might be a hoax by some students,
which founded a "company" in order to fool the authorities. Finally I
thought that maybe an anti-nuclear, environmental protection group was
trying to fool the authorities. The comments on the improved health
seems to me to be an indicator for #3. Still the question is open
whether this "improved health" was a matter of anti- or pro-nuclear
people! I really hope that it was a dead of people who wanted to put
radiological hazards into perspective.

Getting back to radiation protection: This device would in my opinion
not pose any hazard to the persons eating the toasts. The Am-241 is very
well fixed in a ceramic matrix and one of my friends used to say, that
you would suffer health problems only if you would bite on the ceramic
disks. (I have no toasting machine, so for me this problem is not
relevant.) The concept of "recycling" and of discarding the sources to
special designated bins hoping for the future indicates for me the "hoax
version".

Whoever put this hoax forward, my gratulations! It ridicules legislation
which does not take into account facts and common sense and renders the
regulations open to misconceptions or even ridiculing.

I would very much like to receive any news on that case.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR