AW: [ RadSafe ] justification the use of a radioactive sourceintoasters

Doug Aitken daitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Fri Mar 4 16:17:52 CET 2005

At 05:25 PM 3/3/2005, Franz Schönhofer wrote:
>...............Thirdly I considered
>that the request for clarification might be a hoax by some students,
>which founded a "company" in order to fool the authorities. Finally I
>thought that maybe an anti-nuclear, environmental protection group was
>trying to fool the authorities. The comments on the improved health
>seems to me to be an indicator for #3.

Franz:
My first reaction was somewhat like yours. But, if you spent any time in
breakfast rooms of British Hotels, guest houses or hospitals (not wishing
this last one on anyone!), you would realize that burnt toast is a major
concern to the British!

That burnt toast could set off a smoke detector is clear, and this
happening in a hospital ward would at least cause concern but more likely
panic, leading to potential health risks.........

So I see this as a commendable effort at risk reduction.

If we consider (as indicated by the support documentation in the
application) that a large number of false alarms from smoke detectors in
such establishments are due to burning toast, why not just get the smoke
detector a little closer to the action and into a preventive mode, rather
than reactive?

Regards
Doug