[ RadSafe ] Homeland Security Advocate 'Keystone Kops' Booted Out of Knoxville

Gerry Blackwood gpblackwood at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 8 15:51:01 CET 2005

PR Newswire US
March 3, 2005 Thursday

Homeland Security Advocate 'Keystone Kops' Booted Out of Knoxville
Conference for Criticizing Private Security Lapses; Oak Ridge Nuclear Facility Home to
Some of Wackenhut's Most Notable Security Lapses

DATELINE: KNOXVILLE, Tenn. March 3

BODY:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., March 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Protects USA's "Keystone
Kops" were unceremoniously booted out of a labor management conference today
in Knoxville for highlighting the alleged dangerous behavior of Wackenhut, a
security company with major operations at the Oak Ridge nuclear facility.
Dressed as bumbling "Keystone Kops," Protects USA supporters were
attempting to counter the message of the two Wackenhut representatives at the
conference. On October 26, 2004, activists in similar garb were arrested outside the
Oak Ridge facility and subsequently released.

"Wackenhut continues to flex its muscle in limiting free speech," said
Protects USA spokesperson Adam Wilson. "They can keep trying to shut out our
message, but Tennessee citizens are understandably suspicious of their questionable
record when it comes to safeguarding some of America's most important facilities. We
think it's very important that those attending this conference hear the truth about how
Wackenhut conducts its human relations, and how this affects homeland security.
There is a big difference between Wackenhut's rhetoric and its record."

Wackenhut (G4-Securicor, formerly Group4/Falck) is a European based
conglomerate and leading security provider with a controversial record.
Among other things, Wackenhut has frequently been the subject of local
and national media coverage for security lapses at US military and nuclear
facilities. On February 4, the Department of Energy reported that Wackenhut officers at Nevada
Nuclear Test Site "systematically" violated DOE firearms policies in separate
incidents over the past two years.

"We are not talking about isolated incidents, but a continuing record
of problems with this company," Wilson said, "Wackenhut and other security
providers need to be serious about training and supporting the security officers protecting
our national assets."

Since December, G4/Wackenhut has worked to silence Protects USA and
their allies through the U.S. court system and the National Labor Relations Board.
G4/Wackenhut filed a lawsuit in federal court on December 6 to silence
its U.S.-based critics and stop public advocacy conducted by Protects USA. A related
unfair labor practice charge with the NLRB demands that Pro-USA release sensitive
information about the citizens and allies comprising the organization. Trial on the
matter is set for May 2, 2005 in a Virginia courtroom.

"We are confident the court will see this for what it is: a brazen
attempt to silence U.S. citizens using their rights to confront serious violations of our
collective security interests," said Wilson.

Pro-USA is a citizen-based homeland security advocacy project and
unincorporated association based in Washington, D.C.

CONTACT: Matt Bormet, +1-202-478-6189, or mbormet at mrss.com , for
Protects USA

SOURCE Protects USA

"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality."