[ RadSafe ] Article: Uncertainty and power at low levels of incurred radiation dose

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 18:03:29 CET 2005

I receive listing of articles posted in  varioius
journals, and thought this would be of interest.  If
the URL does not work, try your local library.

-------------------

Journal of Radiological Protection
Volume 25, March 2005
http://www.iop.org/EJ/toc/-alert=1221/0952-4746/25/1

. . .

    Uncertainty and power at low levels of incurred
radiation dose
    M Wilson and D Jackson
    2005 J. Radiol. Prot. 25 51-66
    Abstract:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/-alert=1221/0952-4746/25/1/003
    Full text PDF:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/-alert=1221/0952-4746/25/1/003/jrp5_1_003.pdf

    It is common practice when calculating dose to
exposed populations to average the variables that go
into the dose calculation (e.g. environmental
concentrations, air kerma, consumption rates,
occupancy rates). This approach is simple and can be
useful where data are obtained over different periods
(weekly, monthly, quarterly), where samples may be
bulked for some analyses but not others and where gaps
in the data are present. However, such an approach
does not yield information on the degree of
uncertainty around the average dose calculated. An
alternative approach is to estimate the dose to each
individual and to obtain an average from this data
set, which can then also be used to derive a measure
of uncertainty around the central dose estimate.

In this study, we demonstrate the variability in dose
estimates using a hypothetical data set and consider
the implications for sample size to achieve fixed
confidence or resolving power. We recommend
calculating the dose to every individual sampled, in
order both to obtain the average dose and to estimate
its variability. We argue that it is best practice to
obtain information as complete as possible from the
available sample of individuals.

. . .
    Summaries of articles in this issue
    2005 J. Radiol. Prot. 25
    Abstract:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/-alert=1221/0952-4746/25/1/E01
    Full text PDF:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/-alert=1221/0952-4746/25/1/E01/jr51s1.pdf

. . .

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com