[ RadSafe ] Re: Electronic dosimeter as dose of record

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 02:44:43 CET 2005

On 8 Mar 2005 at 17:42, Neill Stanford wrote:

> Sandy, do I understand you correctly? To use an electronic dosimeter
> as dose of record (primary dosimeter) there is no requirement for
> NVLAP accreditation? I remember that there were some issues with
> requiring accreditation to assign a dose from an ED (similar to using
> survey data to estimate a dose in the case of a lost primary
> dosimeter), but I am talking here specifically about using an ED as
> the primary device. As an example - issue an ED only, nothing else.

Hi Neill,

The NRC specifically in 20.1501 exempts an ED since they define it as
"Not a processed" dosimeter.

I also have a written statement from the NRC that states that their
regulations do not preclude an ED from being used as an "official
dose of record". It is for that reason that I submitted my Petition
for Rulemaking in March 2003.

The NRC recently denied the Petition, which you can find on their
website under competed Rulemaking Petitions.

They also denied my request that extremity dosimeters have the
exemption for NVLAP approval removed.

Sandy
-------------------------------------
Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1902

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/