[ RadSafe ] From McGregor and Land (1977) . . .

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 00:07:34 CET 2005

>From D. H. McGregor, C. E. Land, K. Choi, S. Tokuoka,
P.I. Liu, T. Wakabayashi and G. W. Beebe, Breast
cancer incidence among atomic bomb survivors,
Hiroshima and  Nagasaki, 1950–69. J. Natl. Cancer
Inst. 59, 799–811 (1977).

"If there were serious bias in the breast cancer
ascertainment, incidence estimates for those
individuals not in the city ATB (at time of bombing)
or individuals exposed to low doses of radiation (0-9
rads) should have been well below those ordinarily
found in Janpan.  However, comparisons of observed
numbers of cases with the expected numbers based on
age-specific incidence generally taken as
representatvie for Japan, e.g., those for the Miyagi
and Okayana prefectures, show no evidence that the
ascertainment was, in fact, short of expectaion for
the group not in either city and for the group exposed
to 0-9 rads:

Group               Observed         Expected
Not in either city     39               44
Exposed to 0-9 rads   105               96
Total                 144              140

If anyone would like the original report, let me know.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com