AW: [ RadSafe ] Better Nuclear Detectors Needed, DHS Deputy Nominee Says

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Mar 10 02:05:53 CET 2005

The essence of the usual bla-bla-bla is that some people have been
promoted, some have new fields of responsibility, for some others new
jobs and responsibilities have been created. Shifts in responsibility,
replacements etc. I would be more than surprised if their income did not
rise considerably.

I am impressed that 262 M$ are allocated for "better" port of entry
radiation detection devices.

Now I hear, that a truck, bound to deliver radionuclides for nuclear
medicine has been stolen including the radionuclides, because the driver
stopped somewhere to eat donuts, obviously did not secure the car and
left the keys in the pick up.

How much of the 262 M$ will be dedicated to educate drivers delivering
radionuclides to hospitals that they should take the keys with them and
secure the freight when eating at McDonald or Donuts or KFC or
whatsoever. It is for me not understandable, that so much money is spent
on hypothetical issues and the most simple safety issues - which are not
even connected to radionuclides transport - are ignored. I very seldom
transport radioactive material, sometimes I transport a lot of K-40 when
bringing my younger son and his girl-friend back to their home.
Otherwise I always shut the doors, I take the keys with me.

I remember that Abel Gonzales commented on "safety culture" recently,
but I do not believe that he mentioned locking car doors! I would have
believed that this is common sense. Can we not even rely on common sense
any more?

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
AUSTRIA
phone -43-0699-1168-1319

Nominee
> Says
>

> Better Nuclear Detectors Needed, DHS Deputy Nominee Says
>
> By Joe Fiorill
> Global Security Newswire
>

> WASHINGTON — A new unit in the U.S. Homeland Security Department will
seek
> to bolster funds and speed research for improved nuclear detection
> technology at entry ports, Homeland Security Deputy
Secretary-designate
> Michael Jackson said yesterday (see GSN, March 3).
>
> Homeland Security’s new Domestic Nuclear Detection Office is expected
> be at the center of the department’s nuclear response strategy, said
the
> nominee, a former deputy transportation secretary who was most
recently
> chief operating officer of AECOM Technology Corp. He cited better
> detection capabilities as one important aspect of the work.
>
> “This has been one of Secretary [Michael] Chertoff’s early briefs, and
he
> is strongly supportive of the effort,” Jackson said when Senator Norm
> Coleman (R-Minn.) asked about the program at a hearing of the Senate
> Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.
>
> President George W. Bush’s fiscal 2006 budget proposal for Homeland
> Security stipulates creation of the new office and includes $262
million
> to research and develop better port-of-entry radiation detection
devices.

> If confirmed, Jackson would replace James Loy as second-in-command at
the
> young department. He told senators yesterday that he views the post
for
> which he is nominated as that of a chief operating officer, a
“strategic
> thinker” and “change agent” who is “customer-focused,”
“action-oriented”
> and “constructively impatient.”
> Senators Renew Push for Risk-Based Response Grants
>
> Recurrent themes of senators’ questioning during the confirmation
hearing
> included the department’s much-maligned funding formula for state and
> local emergency response.
>
> The formula has so far been based heavily on population and per-state
> minimum payments, but critics from all quarters have called for an
> approach that would direct more money to locations facing demonstrated
> threats and vulnerabilities.
>
> Committee Chairwoman Susan Collins (R-Maine) yesterday criticized the
> department for a “lack of strategic planning” that she said prevented
> resources from being distributed effectively, adding that Bush’s
fiscal
> 2006 proposal would cut emergency response funding to “inadequate”
> amounts.
>
> A White House budget summary indicates the fiscal 2006 proposal
includes
> $3.6 billion for “state and local first-responder grants and other
> assistance” but seeks to “restructure” $2.6 billion of that amount to
give
> the department more latitude to target spending to areas where it sees
the
> greatest risks.
>
> Among changes involved in the restructuring is a reduction in the
> percentage of the overall grant budget that each state receives as a
> baseline from 0.75 percent to 0.25 percent. The move is intended to
free
> up more funds to be allocated on the basis of risk, Homeland Security
> Office for Domestic Preparedness spokesman Marc Short said today.
>
> “We would still provide a baseline, but it’s a smaller baseline,”
Short