[ RadSafe ] Radon Breath Analysis - Simplistic Approach

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Mar 11 12:47:07 CET 2005

This is exactly right, and was developed as well by Srivastava GK, et
al. (Health Phys. 50(2):217-221, 1986). They suggested the value of f to
be 0.84, but this value is probably most applicable to workers who have
been in mines for several years and thus chronically exposed for an
extended period. Others have suggested values closer to 0.6. Toohey et
al. (Health Phys. 44, Suppl. No. 1, pp 323-341, 1983) noted that "the
exhalation of radon increases by a factor of two and then returns to
'normal' in a period of 1-2 hr following a meal", so measurements might
be better made before work on a Monday but some time after a morning
meal. Environmental radon can significantly interfere with proper
measurements, and should be given some attention.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068