[ RadSafe ] Unidentified Helicopters Nearly Fired UponOver Nuclear Power PlantBy

Gerry Blackwood gpblackwood at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 12 23:12:52 CET 2005

"There isn't an issue with any damage to the containment building."

Well we will disagree here since all of this notion is theoretical and relies on computer modeling...... Shoot the dam thing down I would hate to find out the computer was wrong.......

Sandy Perle <sandyfl at earthlink.net> wrote:
On 12 Mar 2005 at 14:02, jjcohen wrote:

> Richard asks an excellent question! Why are we so concerned regarding
> aircraft crashing into nuclear plants? Of coarse we don't want them
> crashing anywhere, but why the special concern with nuclear
> facilities? I realize this concern is a good thing for people in the
> security business, but how does it benefit the rest of us?

There isn't an issue with any damage to the containment building.
However, there is an issue in the event of damage to other system
components within the plant, that could cause a transient situation.
Any degradation in a system that causes a transient is a potential
problem. Loss of off-site power is a problem that could have
consequences. The truth is, if anyone wanted to seriously impact a
plant, they need not go for the containment building. All they have
to do is go for the ancillary systems and they could cause
"potential" significant damage. They already know that. What they
also know if the public will focus on the threat of a breech of
containment, for that is what will set them off.

There are air restrictions around nuclear facilities. The potential
damage alone is not the only reason an intruder could be shot down.
If one enters the restricted zone, they always face being brought
down involuntarily.

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/

"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality."